Return to The Stujoe Collection Home Page

The Stujoe Collection
Register   Login  

Return to thestujoecollection.com Home Page

Home Forums Features Interactive Community View Online Members Search DPP Numis-Links

Note: Registered Users Do Not See Advertisements

Board index General Numismatic Forums Coin Forum

California Gold Coin
The Main Coin Forum for both US Coins and General coin discussions.

California Gold Coin

Postby pru1990 on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:05 pm

Need help with this coin. Have been told that it is rare, but that's about all the info I can get.
On the front, there is a woman wearing a crown with the words BALDWIN in it. She is surrounded by 13 stars and the year is 1851. On the back, it has S.M.V. CALIFORNIA GOLD TWENTY D. there is an eagle in the middle. Can anyone help me?

pru1990
Just got here...

Postby Stujoe on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:16 pm

Hi. Your item is more than likely a copy in a base metal. From what I understand, very few genuine coins of that type exist and they would bring 5 to 6 figues at auction.

If you really believe that it is a genuine piece, it would be a good idea to take it to a local coin shop, coin show, or have it sent in to one of the grading and authenticating services such as ANACS (which will certify it even if it has problems or is damaged).

I would say that the odds are slim that it is real.
Ogre in da house...

Stujoe
Mean Green Posting Machine

Postby Stujoe on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 pm

Oh and here is some info about the real Baldwin coins:

http://www.coinfacts.com/pioneer_gold/b ... _coins.htm
Last edited by Stujoe on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogre in da house...

Stujoe

California Gold Coin

Postby pru1990 on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:21 pm

If this was a replica, how can i determine this by just looking at it? I haven't been able to find any pictures of this at all. Have come across copies of coins before that clearly stated "copy" on them.

pru1990
Just got here...

Postby Stujoe on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:30 pm

I can't find a picture of the $20 anywhere or specifications for it either. Does it really look like gold? I doubt that authenticating a coin like that, if it was real, would be something I would trust to anything less than an expert.

Considering the rarity of the real thing, having your be genuine is probably similar odds as to winning the lottery.
Ogre in da house...

Stujoe

Postby mmarotta on Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:08 am

"If this was a replica, how can i determine this by just looking at it?"

For one thing, a genuine $20 gold coin will be heavier than a silver dollar.

Strange things have happened in numismatics; old attics, libraries, old collections, and such are the kinds of places from which rarities surface. That said, if your Baldwin $20 does not seem to compete well against a U.S. $20 gold coin, then it is most likely one of many knock-offs in base metal.

Also, as a footnote, pioneer gold is an area of U.S. numismatics with a lot of "problems" that have caught experts. The Red Book has seen some of these come and go from its pages as their authenticity was touted and doubted.

mmarotta
I hope I'm not boring you...

Quick Reply

Return to Coin Forum